Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Photo of the Week-7/27-8/3

Photobucket

although i feel like i'm running behind in all of my work, i actually wasn't running behind on posting the photo of the week for this week. it has just taken me a week to really figure out what it was about this one vbs that got to me.

i remember driving over to los guandules, i did not want to be going. i had a ton of stuff to do and i thought i had lined up someone else to help me photograph the vbs but it fell through. angry. frustrated. irritated. those would be the words to describe my mood walking up the steps to the church. not exactly the words i would want to describe my mood, ever.

as i reached the top of the stairs a cloud was completely lifted from me. i left the world of darkness and moodiness and entered the world where happy children play. to describe what i saw in words is nearly impossible to do. but words are all i've got. there was music playing, there were children laughing and there was dancing...oh yes, there was dancing. there was hand holding, and leg kicking, and booty shaking.

the light trickled in the windows of the church just right as to caress the little faces that were beaming with smiles. not like the kind of smiles with lips pursed and corners turned up...but the kind of smiles i dream of seeing here. squinty-eyed, cheeks gathered, teeth bearing, smiles.

as i'm typing these words now, a little chill runs up my neck and my eyes well up with water. it was that indescribable.

i literally kept my camera plastered to my face, not so much as to capture every moment of this incredible scene, but to keep people from noticing the tears streaming down my face. i've never really felt the holy spirit, in the moment, and known it was the holy spirit. but in that moment it was as if the holy spirit was standing next to me, speaking to me, whispering in my ear.

about two weeks ago, i started reading a book called, "90 minutes in heaven." it's not necessarily a book that i would recommend to everyone i meet. and honestly, the book itself wasn't all that impressive. but what was impressive was the man's account of heaven. i almost feel like god wanted me to read the book only to have the background of what heaven will be like so that when i walked into the church at los guandules that afternoon, i could feel just a little of what heaven will be. i feel i've come to understand that heaven's dancing and singing will be on a much grander scale but let me tell you...if it's only twice as grand as that afternoon, i'm ready to go now.

No comments:

Post a Comment